Saturday, April 26, 2014

I've never been a fan of Poetry, until now

I'd like to start by saying, I've never truly been a fan of Poetry until Nelson.

Before I took this class, I had no idea that poetry could be fun. I've studied it for years in all of my English classes, and they are boring as hell. They're written by a bunch of dead guy who were either insane, depressed, had some form of a drug addiction, or was a pervert. I don't know others views, but to me, it's rather dull.

THEN, fortunately, I discovered the world of Slam Poetry. It's fun, exciting, and it's about real things that people actually care about. I went to SPFY the other night, and it was amazing. I didn't know that most of my peers were creative in that sort of way, and I had no idea that like myself, others wanted to hear.

Currently, my favorite poem is "To This Day" by Shane Koyczan
http://www.tothisdayproject.com/the_poem.html

I just think that this is such a beautiful poem. The first time I heard it, was when a kid on the Debate team performed in the Little Theatre at school. I can't help but get emotional when I hear it. I just love how real it is, it's about one man's story of bullying, but he's not making anything glamorous, or trying to tell a good poem, he's using real examples of things that happened, and I can't help to appreciate that. Although it's a sadder poem, he shines some light at the end and lets everyone know that even if nobody else can see it, you are still beautiful and have worth.

My favorite line is, ".... and if you can't see anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror, look a little closer, stare a little longer, because there's something inside you, that made you keep trying, despite everyone who told you to quit. You built a cast around your broken heart, and you signed it yourself. You signed it, "THEY WERE WRONG."

No comments:

Post a Comment